Friday, March 4, 2011

Add another Book to the Bookshelf

      Something that most priests will admit to is that we have too many books. I know that I have some books that are just sitting on my book shelves (I have two book shelves, one in my office and one back in the rectory) that have never been opened. It is not that I do not enjoy reading, I love to read, but it is just hard to find the time to sit down and read. Obviously I have a lot of theological books, and I do enjoy reading those. But, the books that I like to read for pleasure the most are autobiographies or biographies of people, especially when it comes to lives of the saints.
       A couple of months ago a parishioner, and reader of this blog, gave me a book to read called: The Shadow of His Wings. It is about a German soldier during World War II, who was a seminarian. So, over these last couple of months I have gradually read through the book, and I am amazed at the faith of this priest, and all of the good work that God has done through him. I am almost done with the book (I am finishing up the appendix) and I strongly recommend it to everyone. It is a fairly easy read, but at the same time will inspire you to keep on putting your trust in God.
This is what the back cover of the book states: Here is the astonishing true story of the harrowing experiences of a young German seminarian drafted into Hitler's dreaded SS at the onset of World War II. Without betraying his Christian ideals, against all odds, and in the face of evil, Gereon Goldmann was able to complete his priestly training, be ordained, and secretly minister to German Catholic soldiers and innocent civilian victims caught up in the horrors of war. How it all came to pass will astound you.
Father Goldmann tells of his own incredible experiences of the trials of war, his many escapes from almost certain death, and the diabolical persecution that he and his fellow Catholic soldiers encountered on account of their faith. What emerges is an extraordinary witness to the workings of Divine Providence and the undying power of love, prayer, faith, and sacrifice.
This book can be purchased online, and I’m sure at many religious book stores. I’m not sure if Epiphany gift center carries it or not, but I did send them an email stating that it would be a great book to add to their selection. If you do pick it up and read it, please let me know what you thought of the book, I would love to hear what you have to say about it.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read the book, but thanks for the review - will add it to my list!

    I do have another recommendation for you if you haven't read it: Fr. Walter Ciszek's "He Leadeth Me". In his case, he was "undercover" in Russia, arrested, charged with being a spy, and sent to prison - both Lubianka and then 15 years of hard labor in Siberia. Incredible story about how he was able to function as a priest within the prison, when he hadn't been able to do so outside of prison walls. His other book, "With God in Russia" should also be read - it fills in more details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fr. Carlson, I am so glad to have found your blog! I am a fellow parishioner and enjoy your homilies and guidance very much. I was recently pondering the lack of hope in the concentration campers of WWII. "Where is God?" They would no doubt ask themselves as evil and death and utter desolation took reign. Thank you for your review, I will look into reading it. And thank you again for your unwavering service to us all!

    ReplyDelete