Monday, August 15, 2011

Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

First, and foremost, happy feast day. Today of course is the Solemnity of the Assumption and although not a holy day of obligation this year in the United States, it still is a huge day where we celebrate Mary being assumed into heaven. But, why do we celebrate this? I think our prayers for the Mass tells us the reason, and the reason being that it gives us hope that we too can reach heaven, where we all want to dwell. So, make sure to take some time today (or this week) and contemplate what you are doing in your life, if you truly are serving God or not.
I got back from my fishing trip on Saturday night, and it was a great time. The fishing could have been a little better, but it was so nice just to be able to spend some time with my brothers, and also enjoy nature. We stayed at a cabin at Fort Saint Charles, which is an island on Lake of the Woods. Here is a link to some more information about the site. Essentially, it was a fort that some explorers used when living at Lake of the Woods, and eventually they were actually massacred. I hope one day to tell more of the story, maybe a special talk, or make it the story of a homily, so stay tuned.I was able to say Mass everyday up there with my brothers, and I even got a run in!!  Here are some pictures from the trip.
Picture of the Cabin we stayed at.


Sunset at Lake of the Woods.

Praying on the boat.

Saying Mass and somewhat sporting a beard.

My Brothers Luke and Mark.

It is great to be back at the parish, and I am really looking forward to our final year at the State Fair Dinner. When I was gone, channel 5 did a story on the dinner, and here is a link to the video. If you plan on coming to the state fair this year make sure to stop in and grab some food at the dinner, hopefully it is going to be a busy place.
Alright, don't forget to celebrate this great solemnity today, I know that I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment