Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Skiing (Not Walking) on Water

This past Saturday night I had the opportunity to go to St. Francis Xavier in Buffalo, Minnesota to hear confessions and celebrate Mass that evening. It is a beautiful Church and a very prayerful community. It also happens to be close to my Uncle Brad’s cabin in Maple Lake. So, after Mass (which plenty of my family was at) I was able to go to “the cabin” and relax. Now ever since I was a little kid I have always wanted to water ski, but for some reason have never been able to get up on water skis. When I told my Uncle that I was coming, I mentioned that I wanted to try to water ski again, even though I thought that I would have no chance of getting up.
So, when I arrived at the cabin, essentially the first thing that we did was hop in the boat and head out on the lake (which was clear as glass). Also, my cousin Bradley was very generous and headed up to Maple Lake to spot for me, and also offer encouragement. After Bradley was done skiing, it was my turn to give it a shot. The first three times that I yelled “hit it” I was able to almost get up, but would always fall. However, it seemed like my Uncle and Cousin would not let me give up, and after my Uncle offered one simple tip (putting the ski tips higher out of the water) I was finally able to get up water skiing!!! Of course that lasted for about 10 yards before I yelled out in excitement, and then fell face forward into the water. So, I tried again, and made it a little farther, but Bradley was not able to get a picture, so I said I would go one more time (I was a little tired by this time). The third time that I got up I was able to make a longer run (about a minute) before I was exhausted, and let go of the rope. 
 I am now proud to say that I can join my two brothers in saying that I can water ski (it may have been a little pride thing) and cannot wait to go out again and give it a try. So, if any of you have a big boat and some water skis, don’t be afraid to give me a call and invite me out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment