Friday, July 8, 2011

"You are Really Sweaty"

A priest usually gets one day off a week, and the day that I take off is Tuesday. I usually try to do my errands that day, and also try to partake in one of my hobbies. The hobby that has been dominating my off day this summer has been running, because every Tuesday is the day that I do my “long run” for the training of the marathon (more on the marathon later). This past Tuesday I was 7.5 miles into my 10 mile run when I spotted the children from our Extended Day Program down by the Coon Rapids Dam. Needless to say they were surprised to see me, and one of the kids even said “you must have ran a long way, because you are really sweaty.” After I spent about a minute of talking to them, I took off to finish the rest of my run (which was all uphill) during which I got to thinking about all of our school children who are gone for the summer, and how nice it is to have a school here. So, for Mass that day I made the Mass intention for all of the school children as well as the children who go to Faith Formation here that they may have a safe and enjoyable summer.  
Now talking about running and school children, once again I would like to remind people that I am running the Twin Cities Marathon and am trying to raise $4,000 for the school. So, far I have either been given or pledged right around $600. If you want to help out with my goal you can simply send a check to me and write it out to Epiphany School, or you can send cash (however just specify in the note that it is for the marathon). Also, some companies have matching gift programs for the marathon, to see if your company matches gifts check out this website here. Every little bit donated will help out for me not only to reach my goal but hopefully even exceed it. Over the past couple of weeks I have learned that there is a difference between running as a hobby and training for a marathon, and I think that in the future it is only going to get harder. In all honesty the only thing that has made me continue to get out and run is because I am doing this for a purpose, which is to provide a great education to those in need, so if the Spirit moves you please make a donation.
Talking about the Spirit moving you, this is exactly how I ended my recent bulletin article. I talked about social media and technology and how they can be used as a tool for the Universal Church. If you want to take a look at the article you can find it here.
I hope that you all have an enjoyable weekend, I know that mine will be busy, but at the same time very enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment