Saturday, September 10, 2011

3 Weeks and Counting


So, the marathon is right around 3 weeks away, and depending on when you read this I will either have ran my 20 mile run or not (it is scheduled to happen on Monday September 12). After this run, the training will get a lot easier, because I will be entering into something called the tapering period of my training. Essentially what will happen is that the runs will get shorter, and it will give my body time to recover from all of the stress that I have put on it over the past 15 weeks. The hope is that the recovery will actually make me more rested and stronger for the 26 miles and 385 yards (or 138,435 feet) of the marathon. The training portion has gone well, although I will be excited to be over with it, it really can take over some of your days.
The other update that I would like to give you about the marathon is how the fundraising is going. Now, there have been some very generous people out there, who have made some very generous donations, and this is greatly appreciated. As you may recall my goal is $4,000.00 and this is still my goal, but I think it would be great if we could somehow exceed this goal. Right now I have received $1,450.00, which is terrific, especially seeing as how the only announcement that I have made about this has been through this blog. Just to let you know every single penny that I receive (and I do accept pennies) will go straight to the school to help them provide a high quality education to the students here. So, if you can help out in anyway (remember pennies are accepted) please do.
Some people have asked me if they could come down and cheer me on, and of course the answer is YES!!! If you do plan on coming down to be one of the 300,000 spectators, please let me know ahead of time, so that I can keep an eye (or an ear) open for you, and if you know where you are going to be at that would help out as well. Here is a link to the course map. I have been able to cheer on people at the marathon many times, and it is a great time, and I think the runners appreciate it as well.  If I hear of a group that is going to come down, I will make sure to post it on the blog to let other people know that they can join them at a set location.
I would also appreciate if you could somehow spread the word about this endeavor that would be great. Finally, and most importantly please continue to pray for the success not necessarily of me running the marathon, but for the success of our school here at Epiphany. It was truly a joy this week to have all of the kids back, and to see so many new faces in school as well, and this is why I am running the marathon, so that these kids can get a great Catholic education. Once again thank you for all of your support, and please know of my prayers for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment